Kyra Campbell and Anna Good are leaders in not only the Special Olympics Virginia community but the community at whole. Their bond, which was formed at Stone Bridge High School in Ashburn, has lasted over 4 years. Just last year, the pair joined Special Olympics Virginia's Youth Leadership Council.
"Through YLC, I've not only been able to bond with Anna but I've also been able to meet pairs that are just like us," said Youth Leader Kyra Campbell.
The Youth Leadership Council is currently seeking passionate student leaders to join the upcoming term. Responsibilities include:
- Commit to serving on the YLC for a two-year period. *one year for 12th graders Students with and without intellectual disabilities will work collaboratively to implement Special Olympics unified initiatives.
- Represent Special Olympics in a professional manner.
- Lead by example: use inclusive and respectful language and behavior.
- Support, develop, and oversee at least two Unified Champion Schools initiatives in school community, for example: Spread the Word Inclusion Campaigns, Town Hall meeting, Youth Summit/Forum or Unified Sports Expo, etc.
- Attend all monthly meetings with a written advance notice if cannot attend a meeting.