- The personal information we collect and how we use it,
- With whom we share your information,
- The measures we take to protect the security of your personal information, and
- How you can communicate with us about your rights and choices.
This policy was written in English. To the extent a translated version conflicts with the English version, the English version controls.
INFORMATION SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA COLLECTS AND HOW WE USE IT
We collect different kinds of information that help us run SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA activities, promote inclusion, raise awareness, and support our mission. Here are the categories of information we collect and how we use it:
- Your Contact Information is used to provide information to you regarding SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA activities and our mission, and to offer you opportunities to donate to and volunteer with Special Olympics. Contact Information can include your name, address, phone number, email address, and your parent or guardian’s information if you are a minor or an adult with a legal guardian. We previously collected birthdates for Class A volunteers because it was needed for background checks; these dates were stored in our Volunteer Database. We now only store only birth month and year for all Class A volunteers. Birthdates are an optional field for Class B/one-day volunteers in CERVIS. We collect and store athlete birthdates as it’s necessary for the completed medical form.
- International Event Registration Data are used to organize world games and other events and ensure the safety of all participants. This data includes your name, demographic information, emergency contacts, travel information, physician information, health information, workplace or organizational affiliations, passport information, and background check information.
- National and Local Registration Data are used to organize local and national activities and ensure the safety of all participants. This data includes your name, demographic information, emergency contacts, physician information, health history, workplace or organizational affiliations, and background check information.
- Your Participation Data is used to operate SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA activities, promote Special Olympics, solicit donations, recognize SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA sponsors and partners, and maintain the history of Special Olympics. Participation data includes your name, age, gender, competition results, participation history, images, video, and biographical information.
- Health and Research Data are used to understand and address trends and issues affecting the health and inclusion of people with intellectual disabilities. Health and research data include health screening data, survey data, and pre-participation medical form data. SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA uses research data to influence governments, health care providers, and public health organizations to address disparities in access to health care and other public resources for people with disabilities. SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA keeps your personal information confidential and only aggregated research data is published.
- Your Donation History is used for accounting, tracking your giving to Special Olympics, and thanking you for your gifts. We do not store your credit card information, and credit card payments are routed through payment card industry compliant third-party payment services.
- Online Message Boards and social media tools maintained by SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA allow you to disclose information about yourself publicly. Because of the public nature of these tools, other online users can access information you provide.
- Volunteer Information is used to communicate with and conduct SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA state and local programs. Contact data such as name, address, age and areas of interest is self-subscribed using our online volunteer tool known as CERVIS and, in the case of Class A volunteers, stored in a proprietary database maintained by SOVA.
- Background Checks are required for Class A volunteers and will be renewed every 3 years. With Sterling Volunteers, volunteers create an account and have access to their volunteer background check results. Volunteers can review their background check results for accuracy and release their results to Special Olympics Virginia and other participating volunteer organizations. After submitting a Class A Volunteer Form and completing the Protective Behaviors training, volunteers will receive an email with instructions regarding how to request their background check. Coaches also need to take concussion training.
- Coaches can now take the National High School Federation’s online concussion training and not have to submit their completion certificate. Visit https://nfhslearn.com/courses/61151/concussion-in-sports to take the training. SOVA will continue to accept CDC concussion training certificates as well.
- More specifics about volunteering, as well as a link to contact us, can be found on the page https://specialolympicsva.org/volunteer.
In addition, we also collect other technical information such as the type of browser you are using (e.g., Google Chrome, Internet Explorer), the type of operating system you are using (e.g., Windows or Mac OS), CPU type (e.g., Pentium Intel Core), your manner of connecting to the internet (e.g., connection speed through narrowband or broadband access); internet protocol address; other information about your geographic location; and/or the domain name of your internet service provider.
COOKIES AND SIMILAR TECHNOLOGIES USED ON THIS WEBSITE
A “cookie” is a small piece of data that is sent to your browser from Special Olympics’ web server and is stored on your computer’s hard drive. Cookies are used to collect non-identifying information about the user, such as Web surfing behavior or user preferences for a specific website. SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA uses two different types of cookies — session-based and persistent cookies. Session-based cookies expire at the end of a browser session and terminate once you close your browser. Persistent cookies remain on your computer until you remove them. Persistent cookies are used to provide website analytics. You can manually delete all cookies, including persistent ones, within your browser privacy settings menu.
This site is being monitored by one or more third-party monitoring software(s), and may capture information about your visit that will help us improve the quality of our service. You may opt-out from the data that https://smart-pixl.com is collecting on your visit through a universal consumer options page located at https://smart-pixl.com/Unsub/unsub.html.
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE SHARE
SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA will share your personal information in certain additional situations:
- Payment Processing. SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA uses third parties to provide credit card, bank, payment and information processing services. If you choose to make a donation online, by phone, through the mail, or by other means, we will share your personal information with our processing service providers. We authorize these service providers to use your personal information only as necessary to perform services on our behalf or to comply with legal requirements. We require these service providers by contract to safeguard the privacy and security of personal information they process on our behalf.
- Medical Emergency. SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA will disclose your personal information to medical professionals in an emergency.
- Third Party Researchers. SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA may disclose your personal information confidentially with researchers, such as universities or public health agencies, who are studying intellectual disabilities and the impact of SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA activities. Information will only be published in aggregate form without identifying any individual data subjects.
- Visa Assistance. SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA may disclose your personal information with government authorities for the purpose of assisting you with any visas required for international travel to SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA events.
- Necessity. SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA will disclose your personal information as necessary to protect your vital interest, protect the vital interest of another person, protect public safety, respond to government requests, and report information as required by law.
- U.S. Donor List Exchange. For U.S. donors, the national office of SPECIAL OLYMPICS occasionally exchanges our donor name, email, and address list with other reputable nonprofit organizations to keep our costs down. If shared, the other nonprofit organization is only permitted to use such information for a one-time mailing or online advertising and cannot use it for telemarketing and/or emailing purposes. You can opt out of this exchange at any time by calling us at +1 (800) 380-3071 or by emailing [email protected] and providing your complete name, email address, and/or mailing address.
YOUR RIGHTS AND CHOICES
You have rights regarding the personal information we maintain about you. We also offer you choices about what personal information we collect from you, how we use that information, and how we communicate with you.
You have the right to:
- Limit the sharing of your information with third parties for direct marketing purposes;
- Obtain confirmation that we hold personal information about you;
- Request access to and receive information about the personal information we maintain about you;
- Receive copies of the personal information we maintain about you;
- Update and correct inaccuracies in your personal information;
- Have the processing of your personal information restricted or object to the processing of your personal information; and
- Have the information blocked or deleted, as appropriate.
To exercise these rights, please contact us as set forth below. You may withdraw any consent you previously provided to us. We will apply your choices going forward.
We are committed to ensuring the privacy of your personal information and have established safeguards to help protect such information. For example, to protect your privacy, SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA uses passwords to help verify authorized user identity before granting access anywhere your personal information is stored. All online monetary transactions are done on a secure server. This means that information entered on the transaction page is encrypted using SSL (Secure Socket Layer) before transmission. On secure pages, a “closed” lock symbol is displayed in the bottom part of your browser screen and the website address in the address bar at the top of the browser screen starts with an “https” instead of an “http.” Though we strive to ensure the security of your information on our systems, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable and data transmission over the internet cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
In order to provide certain services and goods at our website, we contract with other companies and individuals. These additional services and goods may include links to other websites from our website. Special Olympics' privacy practices may not be applicable at any third-party sites. When you leave the SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA website, we have no control regarding what information may be collected about you, nor do we control what third parties might do with the information. It is important that you review any privacy policies on third-party sites carefully before you use any services or programs offered.
NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS / YOUR CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
CALIFORNIA DO NOT TRACK DISCLOSURE
Do Not Track (“DNT”) is a privacy preference that you can set in your web browsers, which allows you to opt out of tracking by websites and online services. Currently, we do not recognize or respond to DNT signals. For more information about DNT, see http://donottrack.us/.
HOW TO CONTACT US
If you are in the United States and would like to update your preferences regarding email, mailings or telephone solicitations you receive, please use our form at http://specialolympicsva.org/contact-us or call +800.932.4653 Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.
Contact SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA if you have any other questions or requests related to your information:
SPECIAL OLYMPICS VIRGINIA
3212 Skipwith Road, Suite 100
Richmond, Virginia 23294
Updated September 2019