Special Olympics is committed to the highest ideals of sport and expects all volunteers to act in a manner that both contributes to the overall mission of Special Olympics and follows Special Olympics Virginia policies. All Special Olympics Volunteers agree to observe the following code of conduct:
Respect for others
- I will respect the rights, dignity and worth of athletes, coaches, other volunteers, friends and spectators in Special Olympics.
- I will treat everyone equally regardless of sex, ethnic origin, religion or ability.
- I will be a positive role model for the athletes.
- I will respect the property of hotels, dormitories, athletic facilities and dining facilities.
Ensure a positive experience
- I will ensure that Special Olympics is a positive experience for the athletes.
- I will be fair, considerate and honest with athletes and communicate with athletes using simple, clear language.
- I will instruct each athlete to perform to the best of the athlete’s ability at all preliminary competitions and final competitions in accordance with the Official Special Olympics Sports Rules.
Act professionally and take responsibility for my actions
- I will provide for the general welfare, health and safety of any Special Olympics athlete in my charge during the course of my assigned duties.
- My language, manner, punctuality, preparation and presentation will demonstrate high standards.
- I will display control, respect, dignity and professionalism to all involved in the sport (athletes, coaches, opponents, officials, administrators, parents, spectators, media, etc.).
- I will encourage athletes to demonstrate the same qualities as above.
- I will not smoke or chew tobacco at any Special Olympics training or competition site except in designated areas.
- I will not drink alcohol or take illegal drugs while representing Special Olympics at any Special Olympics event, training or competition.
- I will refrain from any form of personal abuse towards athletes and others, including inappropriate or unwanted sexual advances on others, verbal, physical and emotional abuse.
- I will be alert to any form of abuse from other sources directed toward athletes in my care.I will report any emergencies to the appropriate authorities after first taking immediate action to ensure the health and safety of the participants.
- I will abide by the Special Olympics policy on the prohibition of coaches dating athletes.
- I will not engage in sexual activities during any Special Olympics training or at competitions.
Quality service to the athletes
- I will assist to provide the highest quality event possible.
- I will be a positive role model for the athletes in the program.
Health and safety of the athletes
- I will assist in ensuring that the equipment and facilities are safe to use.
- I will encourage athletes to seek medical advice when required.
- I will maintain the same interest and support towards sick and injured athletes as healthy athletes.
- I will allow further participation in training and competition after an illness or injury only when appropriate.
- I will assist when necessary making sure that prescribed medications and over-the-counter medications are taken at the proper times according to instructions given by the parent/guardian.