Special Olympics is committed to the highest ideals of sport and expects all athletes and Unified partners to act in a manner that both contributes to the overall mission of Special Olympics and follows Special Olympics Virginia policies. All Special Olympics athletes and Unified Partners agree to the following code of conduct:
- I will practice good sportsmanship.
- I will act in ways that bring respect to me, my coaches, my team and Special Olympics.
- I will not use bad language at Special Olympics events, training sessions or competitions.
- I will not insult other persons at Special Olympics events, training sessions or competitions.
- I will not fight with other athletes, coaches, volunteers or staff.
Training and Competition
- I will train regularly and commit to knowing and playing by the rules of my sport.
- I will listen to my coaches and the officials and ask questions when I do not understand.
- I will always try my best during training, divisioning and competitions. I will not “hold back” in preliminary competition just to get into an easier competition division.
Responsibility for my actions
- I will not make inappropriate or unwanted physical, verbal or sexual advances on others.
- I will not smoke or chew tobacco at any training or competition site except in designated smoking areas.
- I will not consume alcoholic beverages and/or controlled substances during any Special Olympics training or at competitions.
- I will not take drugs for the purpose of improving my performance.
- I will not engage in sexual activities during any Special Olympics training or at competitions.
- I will obey all laws and Special Olympics rules, the International Federation and the National Federation/Governing Body rules for my sport(s).
- I will respect the property of hotels, dormitories, athletic facilities and dining facilities.