PLEASE NOTE! DUE TO HAZARDOUS AIR CONDITIONS THE FINAL MILE HAS BEEN CANCELED
Participants are welcome to attend the Opening Ceremony at 7 pm and participate in official entrance of the Flame of Hope. Please sit above section 17.
During the spring, Torch Runners from throughout the Commonwealth have been carrying the Flame of Hope as they make their way to the University of Richmond for the Final Mile into the Opening Ceremony at Summer Games.
Become a Final Mile Runner:
You can participate as an individual or create a team in the 2023 Final Mile by registering here.
Already running another Torch Run Leg? Not a problem! There is a registration option without a shirt for FREE. Need shirt? Register for $25 to receive one.
*Please note, shirts will not be guaranteed in time for the event if registration occurs after May 26.
If you need additional assistance, click here and let us know.
Fuel the Flame of Hope:
Once registered, you can create a personalized fundraising page to collect online donations. The funds raised help to provide year-round sports training, competitions, leadership opportunities and health care for 18,000 Special Olympics Virginia athletes of all abilities. You can see your donations in action while you attend Summer Games!
Final Mile Details:
- Date: June 9, 2023
- Please meet in the C75 Parking Lot between 5:30 - 6PM
- Runners will take off at 6:45PM
- Those doing the final lap around the track as part of the lighting the cauldron will need to plan to stay through Opening Ceremony as this occurs at the end of the ceremony.
- Location: University of Richmond
- Starting Line: Parking lot C75
- Finish Line: Robins Stadium
- Distance: Just over 1-mile throughout University of Richmond's campus (map below)
- This is a pace run, not a race! This will be a slow, inclusive run!
In the event of inclement weather we will reach out to all registered participants via text.
OPENING CEREMONIES: June 9, 2023
- Opening Ceremonies will officially begin at approximately at 7 pm
- Any Color or Honor Guards OR Uniformed Escort participants need to report at 5:00pm for practice and staging to the Halftime House in Robins Stadium.
- Those who have signed up to be a uniformed escort this year, in addition to lining the way to the cauldron at the end of the ceremony, will be paired with athletes as a part of the parade of athletes at the beginning of the ceremony. Please stay with the honor guards as this will be right after. If we are in need of more escorts, honor guard members should be prepared to stand in.
- All LETR will be asked to sit together during the ceremonies and will be given a cue to exit the stadium to stage for the final lap. At that time those that are participating as Honor Guard or Uniformed Escort will line a path to the cauldron.
- Volunteers are needed to help pass out thunder sticks to athletes entering the stadium. All LETR are welcome. If you are NOT running in the Final Mile, please go to the entrance of the Robins Center (arena) – Gate D - to meet a SOVA staff member at 6:30 pm. Final Mile runners can assist at the stadium entrance post run.
SWIMMING: June 10, 2023
- Please arrive at the Collegiate School Aquatics Center (5050 Ridgedale Parkway Richmond, VA 23234) at 745 am SHARP!
- Escorts please wear your LETR T-shirt. All uniformed awards presenters, please know that it can get humid/hot inside so please feel free to wear your short sleeves uniform. Volunteers can rotate between the two rolls.
- We anticipate swimming will end at around 2pm – we ask at the conclusion of the events that you assist in the clean-up of the facility.
- Food: Breakfast is available at the hotel before you leave but there will be donuts at the pool. Lunch will be served at the venue as well.
Softball: June 10, 2023
- Please arrive by 11am to the softball venue Glen Allen Softball Complex 2175 Mountain Rd. Glen Allen, VA 23060
- All LETR volunteers will be assisting with awards. This will being when first team is done with their first game around noon. Prior to that all LETR volunteers will assist with set up.
- All uniformed awards presenters need to be in uniform. As it is typically a hot day, please feel free to wear your short sleeves uniform.
- We anticipate softball will end at around 3 pm.
- Breakfast will be available at the hotel if you are staying over. Lunch is not provided at this venue so we recommend you pick something up on your way over.
- HOMEWOOD SUITES BY HILTON RICHMOND WEST- 4100 Innslake Dr. Glen Allen, VA 23060
- We are providing housing (double occupancy) for anyone traveling from out of town who will be participating in Friday night activities AND volunteering on Saturday.