World Games Team Virginia: Athens Updates
< Back to current news
The competitions have begun! We'll be following all 9 athletes as they go for gold at the largest international sporting event in 2011, the Special Olympics World Games. You can find out individual athlete results using the Special Olympics World Games search portal
. For photos, visit our Facebook page
. Tuesday, July 5
As Team VA makes their way home, we're so excited to share the below results from their journey!
- Grace Anne Braxton, GOLD in women's 18-hole tournament
- Jon Fried, SILVER in men's tennis singles; BRONZE in mixed doubles
- Jennifer Ruley, SILVER in bocce singles, bocce doubles and the bocce team competition
- Daniel Certa, BRONZE in bowling singles and SILVER in bowling doubles
- Joey Layton, SILVER in tennis doubles; BRONZE in mixed doubles
- Karen Dickerson, GOLD in the 10,000M and GOLD in the half marathon
- David Curtin, SILVER in men's 18-hole tournament
- Rose Pleskow, BRONZE in the 1500M and 4th in the 800M
- Elizabeth Klein, 4th in the 50 & 100M freestyle, and 8th in the 4x50M freestyle relay
Way to go, Team Virginia. Welcome home!
Thursday, June 30
Way to go, Karen Dickerson, for taking home GOLD in Greece at the 10K! And congratulations also to Elizabeth Klein, who took home 4th place in the 50 meter freestyle, and Jennifer Ruley who took home silver in bocce!
Tuesday, June 28
The first Team Virginia World Games' result is in -- swimmer Elizabeth Klein takes home 4th in the 100 meters! Way to go, Elizabeth!
Monday, June 27
Rose Pleskow, Elizabeth Klein and Jennifer Ruley started the week of with preliminary competitions; their results are below. Way to go, ladies!
Saturday, June 25
- Jennifer Ruley scored 318 in the bocce preliminaries Monday.
- Elizabeth Klein finished the 100M freestyle in 1 minute 38 seconds (preliminary round).
- Rose completed the 800M run in 3 minutes 17.57 seconds (preliminary round).
Grace Anne Braxton, David Curtin, Jennifer Ruley and Dave Pawlowskis (Special Olympics Virginia's Vice President of Program) had the opportunity to meet Dr. Jill Biden, wife of Vice President Joe Biden. Dr. Biden is part of a Presidential Delegation in Athens for the Games.
Friday, June 24
The below was shared by Dave Pawlowski:
The athletes had a great time on the Isle of Rhodes. The weather was beautiful and the hotel was wonderful. Every athlete from Virginia was able to get in some practicing while they were there, about two days worth. Team USA was able to go to the Medieval Town on the Isle of Rhodes and also were able to participate in two of the Final Leg Torch Run Ceremonies on the island: one at the Medieval Town and one at one of the ancient ruins on the island.
The team had a 17-hour ferry ride from the Isle of Rhodes to Athens. Their now settling into their respective hotels in Athens. The Opening Ceremony is tonight. Several of the athletes also will have the chance to meet Vice President Biden’s wife today at a short reception.